Before you host your next kids’ birthday party, be prepared for extra fun with birthday party games kids love. Since every one of the games on this list is FREE, you’ll also have more money to spend on other elements of the party!
1. A treasure hunt is a fun way to lead kids through your house or backyard to a reward at the end. Just write up clues to keep them guessing until the end!
2. Most everyone has a supply of buttons around the house. Put the buttons to use with a rousing game of “Who’s Got the Button?”
3. Grab the fruit basket you already have in your kitchen, and play fruit basket. It’s a fun game for kids that takes hardly any prep work at all.
4. You don’t need a pool to play Marco Polo. Click the link at the end of this post to see how to play the land version.
5. Set up an obstacle course in your backyard with items from your home and garage. It costs absolutely nothing. I’ve done this for my kids, and they love it!
6. Play hot potato. Anything can be used as the potato: a ball, a bag, or an actual potato from your pantry. Just add music and you’re ready to play!
7. A simple paper bag loaded with an assortment of random household objects is all you need for a rousing game of “What’s in the bag?” It’ll keep the kids guessing for awhile!
8. A supply of water balloons from Dollar Tree is all you need for a fun water balloon toss. The kids love the competition!
9. A dress-up relay requires the kids to pile on a bunch of dress up clothes before racing to the other end to take them back off.
10. Elephant tug of war is a fun twist on the traditional version that requires the kids to use their imaginations. Sounds good to me!
Click these links for instructions on each of the free birthday party games featured in this post:
Birthday Party Ideas 4 Kids treasure hunt ideas
Moms Who Think Button Button game instructions
Moms Who Think fruit basket
Moms Who Think Marco Polo on land
The Balance free birthday party games
Fun Games Kids Play hot potato game instructions
Kid Spot What’s in the bag?
National Geographic Kids water balloon toss
Family Education dress up relay
Moms Who Think elephant tug of war