Hopefully by now you know that Pickled Barrel is all over the charm of rustic decor, farmhouse styles, and everything in between. So it should be no surprise that we’re also really into the reclaimed wood look. Today we’re showing you our best decor ideas for a handmade reclaimed wood look, plus how to get that look with fresh wood. The best new is, it’s all really easy!
What Is The Handmade Reclaimed Wood Look?
We can actually take this idea two ways, but that just means it’s easily customizable to what you want for your own home. If you’re lucky enough to have a stash of real, reclaimed wood, you’re ready for the ideas of what you can make with it. But if you don’t have that stash, no worries! You can purchase some new lumber at your local home improvement store and spend just a bit of extra time giving it a reclaimed wood look before you make something with it. Either way is great!
The reclaimed wood look is just another way to describe those old, weathered boards from an old barn or outdoor fence. What makes them so great is the character. And every board is unique! The good news is you can replicate on new wood.
How To Get The Reclaimed Wood Look On New Wood
For a more in depth look at this process, see 5 Ways to Age Wood for a Weathered Look. Here’s just one simple way to get the look yourself:
- Sand down the edges of your new wood boards so they’re no longer sharp and crisp.
- Use a heavy chain or a bag of wood screws to distress the surfaces of the boards. Just throw the chain and/or screws against the boards to dent them and leave small dings. Cluster your dings together randomly on the boards.
- If desired, make a few dings here and there with a hammer.
- Now use a dark stain on the wood, such as Minwax Dark Walnut. The dings and dents will take the stain a little darker than the rest of the wood, and this is what you want.
- Let the wood dry thoroughly, and you’re ready to use it for home decor items.
Decor Ideas For The Reclaimed Wood Look
- Use reclaimed wood to cover an accent wall in your home.
- Make your own sliding barn door with that homemade reclaimed wood.
- Use reclaimed wood boards to fashion a path through your garden space. They look amazing painted with black chalk paint!
- Don’t spend tons of money on wood trays for your home. Make your own reclaimed wood look trays instead.
- Reclaimed wood makes a gorgeous welcome sign for your front porch.
For more reclaimed wood ideas, see 10 Ways to Decorate with Reclaimed Wood.