Fall is in the air, and you know what that means! Autumn brings some of the best weather of the year, so that means it’s time to plan a fall picnic. Fall picnics are the best way to take advantage of those golden, hazy days. Today I have some fall picnic ideas you’ll fall for, so don’t plan that picnic until you see just how easy and fabulous a fall picnic can be.
Fall Picnic Ideas: Preparation
Although you could easily toss a few things in the car and head out quick for your fall picnic, preparation is key for a truly fabulous fall picnic! Here are some ideas to help you avoid pitfalls:
- Pack a plastic tarp to lay underneath your picnic blanket. The ground can easily be damp all day during the fall, even if it’s sunny. Don’t risk getting your favorite fall picnic blankets wet and soggy.
- I’m the first person to want to grab paper plates and cups for a picnic–but be mindful of the wind if you do. An unexpected gust can overturn your picnic and blow everything away in about two seconds flat. Consider using real dinnerware to avoid this.
- Prep your picnic stuff the night before. Wrap sets of silverware in napkins, label individual drink canisters, and portion out individual servings of snacks and finger foods.
- Take an extra blanket or two, just to be sure you have enough.
- If you need a cooler, freeze water bottles ahead of time to keep everything cold and double as drinking water once you get set up at your chosen picnic spot.
- Don’t forget the rustic baskets–it’s not a fall picnic without plenty of baskets to carry everything.
Fall Picnic Ideas For Serving
There’s nothing so pleasing to the eye as a bread board loaded with fresh bread, meats, cheeses and fruits. Pack a wooden bread board for serving your fall picnic.
If you serve chopped vegetables and dips at your fall picnic, try preparing everything in the cups of a large muffin tin. It’s easy to do, looks amazing, and keeps everything within easy reach. Plus, the muffin tin is heavy enough not to blow away if it gets windy!
Fall is prime time for apple picking. Is there an orchard near your picnic spot? Include fresh apples in your fall picnic! Prepare another muffin tin with yummy stuff to dip sliced apples into. Ideas include caramel apple dip, granola, chopped almonds or walnuts, chocolate fudge sauce, white chocolate, and chopped ginger snaps or chocolate sandwich cookies.
To wrap up this list of fall picnic ideas, take along a bouquet of fall mums. It’s a simple way to dress up your fall picnic and make it feel truly special. This mason jar organizer would be the perfect addition to your fall picnic. Use it to hold those mums, the servingware, and other picnic necessaries.