A CMU, or concrete masonry unit, is a rectangular concrete block used in many different construction applications. Those that are made with fly ash or bottom ash are also known as cinder blocks. But no matter what you call them, cinder blocks are useful for lots of things around the house. Here are just 10 DIY projects to build with cinder blocks. Note that you can purchase masonry bits and waterproofing paints for your cinder block project for a great price at Hardware World.
1. One of the easiest cinder block projects to make is an outdoor bench, because you won’t need to do any drilling. Just stack the blocks with lumber and paint if desired. This one is a great example!
2. An outdoor kitchen for under a thousand bucks? Yep! It’s completely doable when you use cinder blocks.
3. I’m really loving this concrete succulent planter. Cinder blocks make it easy to build, and Garden Hills Nursery makes it easy to buy the plants.
4. Build a cinder block fire pit on top of a platform made of pavers. If you decide you need to relocate it later, it’s doable!
5. This is perfect if you can’t afford the nightstand you want, or you love the industrial look of a cinder block nightstand. Just stack and configure it to your liking.
6. If you would like to start practicing raised bed gardening, you don’t have to worry about buying lots of lumber. Just use cinder blocks!
7. Could you go for an entertainment center built with cinder block? There are a lot of good reasons to go for it!
8. Stacked cinder blocks can be used in any number of ways, including a sculpture to dress up your front yard. Here’s an example all dressed up for Fall.
9. Cover your stackable sculpture in greenery for a whole different look. This would look great in any corner of the yard.
10. I don’t know about you, but I think this dining room table built from cinder blocks is perfect for a rustic farmhouse kitchen. The money savings can’t be beat!
Click on the following links to access the tutorials for the projects featured in this post:
eHow simple outdoor bench
Better Homes & Gardens affordable outdoor kitchen
Hunted Interior concrete succulent planter
Bob Vila cinder block fire pit
Dwell cinder block nightstand
Retro Ranch Revamp cinder block garden bed
Maiko Nagao entertainment center
The Horticult stackable sculptures
Pinterest cinder block dining table